Car wrecks are stressful, nerve-racking events. In the commotion of making sure everyone is okay and checking on your vehicle, it’s easy to forget what you need to do.
It’s vital to gather information. The following checklist will help you make sure you have what you need for your claim:
- Names and phone numbers of the people who were present such as passengers and witnesses
- The other driver’s contact information including his or her full name and insurance company and policy number
- Description of the other vehicle as well as the license plate number
- Pictures of the scene, if possible, especially of any damage sustained
- Location of accident
- A copy of the Driver Exchange of Information form from the law enforcement officer on the scene
As you wait for law enforcement, you may find it helpful to take notes on a smart phone or even a scratch piece of paper, describing how the accident occurred, the cross streets and landmarks to help explain the location of the accident, and how you are feeling after the accident.
Collecting this information will help you recall the details of the accident and can strengthen your claim.